Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Traditions

We don't have too many Christmas traditions yet. 

We decorate the weekend of Thanksgiving, but I think that is mostly because it won't get done any other time if it doesn't get done then.  We hang our Christmas cards on a beaded garland around a door frame, but I think I stole that one from someone.  We have tried doing our Advent wreath every night in December like I did when I was growing up, but with Jeff's work schedule it is really difficult to do that.  We usually go to church on Christmas Eve, but this year that will be different, again because of Jeff's work schedule. 

So I guess I am ready to start some new traditions. 

I read a lot of people's blog and many people with children try to do something Christmas-related each day of December.  Even though I don't have a child, and may still not have one when next Christmas rolls around, I am going to start a list of things I would like to do during the month of December.  I figure if I make the list now, I can rearrange some to fit Jeff's work schedule.  Most of these I have stolen from other people, but they look so fun.

1-Watch White Christmas
2-Decorate the tree, but start by putting a nail in the trunk.  The tree and nail represent the sacrifices that God made by sending His son, Jesus, to Earth for the sole purpose of dying on a cross for our sins. 
3-Go look at Christmas lights while eating donuts
4-Bake with friends and/or family (I did do this one this year)
5-Go to a Christmas program at our church
6-Go to a Christmas program at another church
7-Read Twas the Night Before Christmas (the original version)
8-Read a different version of Twas the Night Before Christmas (Teacher, South Carolina, Redneck, etc.)
9-Go caroling
10-Exchange gifts with friends
11-Make a gingerbread house
12-Add an item to our memory ornament (may blog more about this later)
13-Wrap presents
14-Address Christmas cards
15-Read the Christmas story
16-Attempt to write/read the Christmas story from the viewpoint of a person or thing who was present (Mary, Josesph, the hay, the stable)
17-Spend a day/evening with my family
18-Spend a day/evening with Jeff's family
19-Go see my grandmother who does not travel
20-Buy gifts for a child in need
21-Buy gifts for an elderly person in need
22-Deliver gifts that we bought
23-Make cookies for Santa
24-Play carols on the piano
25-See what Santa brought

Wow!  That is a lot of stuff.  I may not get it all done and I may completely change my mind by next year, but I am impressed that I could come up with something to do each day of December leading up to Christmas.

Now that I did all that, I realize that Jeff and I did start a new tradition this year.  I found a Family Bible while I was Christmas shopping at Books-a-Million one day.  It is wonderful.  Without going on forever about all that it has to offer, there is a series within the Bible called "Christmas is Coming," and Jeff and I have been reading a part of it most days in December.  It is made to be used with children, but some of the discussion questions have really sparked a discussion between Jeff and me.  More than anything, it has brought us back every day to what Christmas is all about.  We have studied the prophecies, the birth story, and his ministry.  It is awe-inspiring every time we read it, talk about it, ponder it, study it. 

For God so loved the world that He sent His only Son...   ~John 3:16   

2 comments:

  1. Emily Said...
    Good Idea!!! If i can be of any assistance to help you accomplish any of these let me know!!! I would be glad to help you accomplish your goal!!!

    NOW comments about your list!!! LOL:

    #2- Really good idea!! I've never heard of that before but I really like that idea.

    #3- I suggest Krispe Kreme donuts!!!

    #12- Your memory oranament is probably my favorite ornament yall have... I always enjoy hearing the story behind the new addition!! \

    #16- This sounds like a really fun thing to do!!!

    Ok, I think i said everything i wanted!!! lol Now over break if you get lonely because of jeff's schedule you can always come to our house!!! I Love YAll!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know what bible that is...sounds like a really wonderful thing to do as a family and Josh and I were just talking about getting something like that to use as a family...hopefully we can get one for years to come to use with Leah. Also...remember when we made gingerbread houses at my house and #3 is funny because Josh and I actually did that our first christmas we were married - we bought donuts at the Krispy Kreme on Pleasantburg and then went and saw the lights at the Roper Mountain Science center....maybe you could make an ornament to add to your memory ones...we did that growing up. love you,
    Jessica Q.

    ReplyDelete