With my newly discovered allergies, eating out requires many more questions. The peanut allergy seems to be the biggest one. Sometimes waiters/waitresses are overly worried about it. We had a waiter at Outback in North Myrtle Beach tell us that they did not use peanut oil in the restaurant, but that some of their food came from factories that also processed peanuts. Good work, Outback waiter!
Then we get the folks who are completely bothered and almost ticked off that we even ask. Hello, people! This is literally life or death for me!! Take a look at this trip we took to Wendy's.
Jeff: Sir, what kind of oil do you use in your fryers?
Drive-thru guy: Uh....well....um....we use cooking oil.
(sidebar in the car between Jeff and SE: cooking oil??? That's like saying, "what kind of pencil do you use?" and having someone answer, "A writing pencil!")
Jeff: Sir, my wife has a peanut allergy and we want to make sure that the french fries are not cooked in peanut oil.
DTG: Oh, I don't think we use peanut oil.
Jeff: Well, we need to know for sure so could you find out for sure.
DTG: (with an immediate answer...could not possibly have had time to even ask someone) We do use peanut oil.
Jeff: Thanks. (and he drives off)
Jeff and I knew that the guy had not asked anyone and they probably didn't use peanut oil, but I would rather him tell me yes and be wrong than tell me no and be wrong.
Can you still eat CFA?? With Jay's peanut/tree nut we can still eat CFA...weird I know but something about it being processed different.....praying for you I promise it gets better...can you eat tree nuts? Try Almond Butter its FAB
ReplyDeleteOh, talk to me if you want to complain about allergies and eating out (and even buying food at the grocery store, sometimes). Been there! I have found that people at the restaurant are usually pretty useless, especially if it's a chain. I try to go to their website ahead of time and get what info I can there, and then if I have to, email or call the company. Not that that often does much good. They are obligated to tell you about the processing, bc contamination can happen there, and some people are extremely sensitive. But in most cases, it's a use your common sense thing.
ReplyDeleteI just found out that I can eat CFA and you are right about the processing of peanut oil. I have heard about the almond butter, but I haven't located it yet.
ReplyDeleteI had not thought about checking the website before I go, but I definitely will now. Thanks for the advice.
Goodness Gracious! That Wendy's guy was such a jerk! But I'm guessing CFA stands for Chick-fil-A and if I had to choose which fastfood restraunt I would like to eat at, that would be the one!
ReplyDeleteJeff Says... Cooking oil?!?!? I am glad to hear that. I was concerned that they were using motor oil. What an idiot.
ReplyDeleteSidebar... Antip, street slang for anticipate. I will antip that if I violate my parole the police will come looking for me.